Fried Green Tomatoes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Whether they're a childhood favorite or a new discovery, once you've tried Fried Green Tomatoes, it's hard to forget 'em! Our recipe for this down-home Southern classic is so easy and delicious, you'll want to make 'em all year long!
What You'll Need:
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 green tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices (see Tip)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
What To Do:
- In a large bowl, combine egg, water, salt, and pepper; mix well. Add tomato slices in batches, turning to coat well.
- In a shallow dish, combine flour and cornmeal mix; mix well. Dip each tomato slice in flour mixture, coating completely.
- In a large skillet over high heat, heat oil until hot. Fry tomato slices in batches 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter, then serve.
- Green tomatoes are available in the early summer in most supermarkets, and with their popularity growing all around the country, you can often find them during the rest of the year in specialty and health food markets.
- Yum! Don't miss out on our recipe for Golden Grits Casserole!
- If you want even more classic Southern recipes, be sure to check out our free eCookbook, Down-Home Cookin': 24 Easy Southern Favorites.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 459
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29g 45 %
- Saturated Fat 3.9g 19 %
- Trans Fat 0.1g 0 %
- Protein 7.1g 14 %
- Cholesterol 31mg 10 %
- Sodium 607mg 25 %
- Total Carbohydrates 43g 14 %
- Dietary Fiber 3.5g 14 %
- Sugars 4.2g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you've been to a church picnic or, really, just about any kind of family get-together in the South, then you're probably familiar with pimiento cheese spread. It's a staple there! We thought we'd give these deviled eggs a Southern twist by stuffing them with a pimiento cheese mixture, and boy, did they turn out good! These Pimiento Cheese Deviled Eggs will be a hit with your family this Easter.