Grandma Bell's Onion Tart
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
If you're looking for a change-of-pace from traditional Christmas sides, then you'll love Grandma Bell's Onion Tart! It's one of Howard's favorite recipes for the holidays. This savory onion casserole practically melts in your mouth, and unlike the traditional Christmas sides, there probably won't be any leftovers the next day!
What You'll Need
- 1 refrigerated rolled pie crust (from a 14.1-ounce package)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Unroll pie crust and place in a 9-inch pie plate and flute edges. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden; set aside. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over high heat, melt butter. Add onions and saute 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and sauté 4 additional minutes, or until tender. Place onions in pie crust.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream, dry mustard, salt, and pepper; mix well and pour over onions. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and crust is golden. Let rest 10 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
- If you want to make a Christmas dinner that will really "wow" the family, try our Herb-Crusted Prime Rib, and for a side they'll love, try our Herbed Au Gratin Potatoes!
- For dessert, we recommend our 5-star Holiday Fluff Salad or Holiday Eggnog Pie! One of our Editor's favorites is this Holiday Upside-Down Cake!
- What do you think of Grandma Bell's Onion Tart? Let us know in the comments!
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
For more holiday favorites, download our free eCookbook!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 284
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21g 33 %
- Saturated Fat 11g 54 %
- Trans Fat 0.2g 0 %
- Protein 5.5g 11 %
- Cholesterol 104mg 35 %
- Sodium 382mg 16 %
- Total Carbohydrates 19g 6 %
- Dietary Fiber 1.7g 7 %
- Sugars 4.6g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Now here's a holiday stuffing recipe that'll surely "shape up" your spread and get you lots of "oohs" and "aahs." Our Bundt Pan Stuffing is fancy looking and downright delicious. It's a homemade stuffing that'll be talked about all year long!