Green Peas with Bacon
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Add a garnish of bacon to just about anything, and suddenly, you've transformed an ordinary dish into something quite memorable. That's exactly what we've done with this easy side dish recipe for Green Peas with Bacon. By adding some spices along with bacon to some ordinary green peas, we've really kicked it up a notch and made the side dish the secret star of the show! Bring this recipe out over dinner next week, and you'll see what we mean.
What You'll Need
- 2 slices smoked bacon
- 1 shallot, sliced (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen green peas, thawed (see note)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint
What to Do
- Cook bacon in a medium skillet until crisp; remove and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Saute shallot in hot bacon drippings over medium-high heat 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in orange rind, orange juice, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Add peas, and cook 5 more minutes; stir in butter and mint.
- Transfer peas to a serving dish, and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
Two tablespoons chopped onion plus 1 tablespoon chopped garlic can be substituted for the shallot.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This pound cake will certainly brighten up your day! From the fresh aroma of it baking to the first forkful of lemony bliss, our Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake is a real delight. This pound cake is summer-perfect and ready to be brought along to all of your picnics and potlucks!