Kickin' Fried Green Tomatoes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Our Kickin' Fried Green Tomatoes are sure to become a summertime classic! If you're looking to put those summer veggies to use and don't want to just use them on salads or part of salads, then this easy southern vegetable recipe is sure to give you the variety you're looking for. We love southern fried recipes 'cause they just remind us of that down-home cooking style we can't get enough of.
What You'll Need
- 2 green tomatoes, chilled
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup hot bacon drippings or oil (see Note)
What to Do
- Cut tomatoes into 1/2-inch slices. Stir together mustard and next 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Spread mixture on both sides of tomato slices. Place cornmeal in a shallow dish; dredge tomato slices in cornmeal.
- Fry tomato slices in hot drippings or oil in a skillet over medium heat 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Drain.
Serve a batch of summer's favorite veggie (and ours) -fried! Technically fruit, tomatoes are home-style goodness at its best. Hot bacon drippings give lots of flavor to the tomatoes while frying, but an equal amount of vegetable or canola oil can be substituted, and the dish is still awesome.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This pound cake will certainly brighten up your day! From the fresh aroma of it baking to the first forkful of lemony bliss, our Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake is a real delight. This pound cake is summer-perfect and ready to be brought along to all of your picnics and potlucks!