We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This dish has been passed down from generations of Italian kitchens and "Americanized" to use any kind of greens you have on hand - romaine, red leaf lettuce, even spinach works in this simple side dish. Sauteed Greens are a fun spin on your favorite veggies!
What You'll Need
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium heads escarole (about 3 pounds), washed, trimmed, and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup water
What to Do
- In a soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic, cayenne pepper, and salt and saut for 1 minute, until golden.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the escarole is tender, stirring occasionally.
Although two heads of escarole looks like a lot raw, when it cooks it reduces in bulk just like spinach.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 157
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12g 19 %
- Saturated Fat 7.4g 37 %
- Trans Fat 0.5g 0 %
- Protein 3.7g 7 %
- Cholesterol 31mg 10 %
- Sodium 450mg 19 %
- Total Carbohydrates 11g 4 %
- Dietary Fiber 8.6g 34 %
- Sugars 1.9g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
These cookies are melt-in-your-mouth delicious. No, honestly, pop one of these Cranberry Shortbread Drops into your mouth and experience everything a buttery shortbread cookie should be, with the added bonus of creamy white chocolate pieces and flavorful dried cranberries. Yum!