Squash Puff Cakes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Fritters are no stranger to the South, and they certainly aren't limited to squash. Yummy fried corn and eggplant puffs are often found on tables throughout the Southern region, also.
What You'll Need
- 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen yellow summer squash, thawed, drained, and chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup biscuit baking mix
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the oil; mix well. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the batter onto the skillet to form each cake. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until golden.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined platter and cover to keep warm.
- Repeat until all the batter is used, adding more oil as needed.
Makes about 1 dozen.
If you prefer to use fresh squash instead of frozen, peel and coarsely chop 3 to 4 medium-sized yellow summer squash and saute until tender. Then continue as above.