Stuffed Baby Eggplant
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Use our meatless recipe for Stuffed Baby Eggplant to create a succulent Italian feast. It's both quick and fancy!
What You'll Need
- 6 baby eggplant, stems removed (see Preparation Tip)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 of a green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (14-1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (5.5-ounce) can vegetable juice
What to Do
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise; scoop out and coarsely chop the pulp.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat; add the chopped eggplant, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, and garlic powder. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the bread crumbs, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, the salt, and vegetable juice; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture evenly into the eggplant shells and place on the baking sheet. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender.
Be sure to use baby eggplant (each about 6 inches long) in this recipe, not full-sized ones.