We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
For anyone who isn't German, this is a recipe for a beef roll-up covered in gravy and stuffed with an honest-to-goodness delicious mixture of onions, pickles, and bacon. To our German friends, this is a simple, traditional German Rouladen recipe!
What You'll Need
- 12 thin slices top round beef
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion, divided
- 3/4 cup finely chopped bread and butter pickles, divided
- 1/2 pound raw bacon, diced, divided
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup water
What to Do
- Lay beef slices on a flat surface; sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon each of onion, pickles, and bacon on each slice of beef. Roll up meat tightly and secure each with a toothpick.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Place meat rolls in pot and saute until browned on all sides. Add remaining onion, pickles, and bacon to pot. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 50 to 55 minutes, or until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove beef to a platter and remove toothpicks. Cover and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour and water. Pour mixture into pot and stir constantly until thickened. Stir in remaining salt and pepper. Pour gravy over beef and serve immediately.
A little red cabbage on the side and wow--delish!
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
The best home fries are still the ones made in diners, you know the places that are nicknamed "greasy spoons." There's just something special about the taste of potatoes slung around a sizzling hot grill and mixed with the flavors of eggs and bacon that can't be beat. Wait until you try these - they're a breakfast (or anytime) winner.