Homestyle Sloppy Joes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This classic all-American favorite tastes so much better when made with your own fresh ingredients. Our Homestyle Sloppy Joes are sink-your-teeth into 'em good!
What You'll Need
- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 sandwich rolls or hamburger buns, split, buttered, and toasted
What to Do
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef, onion, and green bell pepper 7 to 9 minutes, or until no pink remains in beef; drain off excess liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients except sandwich rolls; mix well. Reduce heat to low and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve sandwich-style spooned into buns.
Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tip!
- For extra zing, add 1 teaspoon of hot pepper sauce. It's lip-tingling and delicious!
- Do you love old-fashioned, cafeteria-style recipes like this sloppy joe recipe? Then you've got to check out our collection of Cafeteria-Inspired Recipes!
- And if you're looking for another comfort food favorite, be sure to check out our recipe for Mom's Tuna Noodle Casserole.