Nuevo Chipotle Beef in Butternut Squash Boats
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Get ready for the winning recipe from the 2007 National Beef Cook-Off! You're gonna love the way all the flavors of chipotle pepper, balsamic vinegar, cilantro and everything else combine in this contest-winning beef stew.
What You'll Need
- 1 1/2 pounds lean beef for stew
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 medium-sized tomato, chopped
- 1 small ripe avocado, cut into cubes (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place beef, water, tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, chipotle pepper, cumin, salt and black pepper in oven-proof stockpot. Cover and bake 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours, or until beef is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, cut squash lengthwise into quarters; remove seeds. Place squash cut-side down in 9" x 13" glass baking dish, overlapping if necessary. Add water. Bake 1 to 1-1/4 hours, or until fork-tender.
- Place each baked squash quarter on a serving plate. Fill with equal amounts of beef mixture. Top with tomato and avocado, if desired. Sprinkle with cilantro.