This taco casserole with tortilla chips will be an instant hit!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Our Taco Casserole is a simple, Mexican-inspired, ground beef recipe that everyone in your family will eat right up. It's got all the tasty taco fillings you and your family love. But best of all, you can make our Taco Casserole in advance, and heat it up when you're ready to eat!
This easy casserole recipes has a special place in the hearts of the Test Kitchen. Why? Because this Taco Casserole is a meal we’ve all sat down to and enjoyed together. When you’re looking to make a meal that will really bring family together, this dinner casserole should be your go-to. The juicy ground beef is perfectly complimented by the gooey cheese and zesty taco seasoning! And we think the crushed tortilla chips add the perfect crunch. Don’t wait to make this easy casserole recipe; it’s a Tex-Mex favorite the whole family will love!
What You'll Need
- 1 pound ground beef (see Note)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (1.25-ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 4 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby Jack cheese
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2-1/2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over high heat, cook beef and onion 5 to 6 minutes, or until no pink remains; drain off excess fat. Add garlic powder, taco seasoning mix, and tomato sauce to beef; mix and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine sour cream and cottage cheese; set aside.
- Place half the crushed chips in the bottom of the casserole dish. Add enough meat mixture to cover the chips, then cover the meat with half the sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with half the cheese; repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes, or until casserole is heated through.
Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tip!
- Want to make this casserole a bit lighter? Substitute the ground beef with ground turkey and use low-fat sour cream and cheese.
- For more taco options, check out our recipes for Bean 'n' Veggie Soft Tacos, our Sassy Chicken Street Tacos, or our Simple Fish Tacos!
- We've got even more tacos for dessert! Make our Mini Fruit Tacos, or our Ice Cream Tacos as a treat everyone will love.
- This Taco Casserole is just one of the easy and tasty recipes you'll find in our collection of Easy Mexican Casseroles!
- Why make tacos in a cassrole dish? Making tacos for dinner is always fun and delicious; but it can create a ton of mess and dishes to clean up afterwards! That takes the fun out of any meal, if you ask us. But making this casserole gives you all the delicious flavors and fun of tacos without all the mess. That's something we can always get behind!
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 700
- Calories from Fat 402
- Total Fat 45g 69 %
- Saturated Fat 18g 92 %
- Trans Fat 0.8g 0 %
- Protein 34g 67 %
- Cholesterol 118mg 39 %
- Sodium 1,296mg 54 %
- Total Carbohydrates 44g 15 %
- Dietary Fiber 4.7g 19 %
- Sugars 6.3g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Looking to shake up the menu at your game day bash? If so, then you need to make these Honey BBQ Chicken Bites. They've got a crispy seasoned coating that makes them really addictive. And when they're drizzled with our homemade honey BBQ sauce, you can bet they're going to make 'em disappear!