Best Ever Birthday Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Patty, our Test Kitchen Director, went through her special stash of recipes in order to make this cake for Howard's birthday. This cake is so good, you really don't need a special occasion to make it.
What You'll Need
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2) sticks butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or milk
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray and lightly dust with flour. In a medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in eggs, sour cream, and vanilla until combined. Slowly add dry mixture and water to creamy mixture and beat just until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake 28 to 34 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 15 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make frosting, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Place one cake layer upside down on a serving platter and frost top. Place second layer over first and frost top and sides. Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Decorate with your favorite birthday candies and sprinkles! And if you'd like to take a look at some of other super chocolate cake recipes, click here.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
You can count on lots of crispy edges when you make our recipe for Sheet Pan Mac 'n' Cheese! If your regular macaroni and cheese recipe is getting too routine, then you'll love this unique way of making a classic, cheesy, favorite. This is one the whole family will cheer for!