Cherry Almond Upside Down Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Move over, pineapple upside-down cake! Everybody's gonna be head over heels for the new cake in town.
What You'll Need
- 1 cup drained and chopped maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix, mixed according to the package directions
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (½ stick) butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and flour
- Spread cherries evenly over bottom of prepared baking dish. Sprinkle almonds over cherries then pour prepared cake batter over cherries and almonds.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine cream cheese and melted butter and beat with an electric beater until creamy. Add sugar and beat until smooth. Starting 1 inch from edge of baking dish, drop mixture in 12 equal spoonfuls evenly over cake batter, pushing cream cheese mixture into batter.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 25 to 30 minutes and invert onto a platter; cut and serve when completely cooled.
To bring out the flavor of the almonds, lightly toast them in a 350 degree F oven for a few minutes before using as directed.