Coconut Layer Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Forget that old boring white cake recipe. We're going to take that box of cake mix and turn it into something sweet, moist, and that everyone is sure to love! In fact, they'll probably go "coconuts" for this one! This makes a great Easter dessert recipe, but it's also perfect anytime you want to add a little coconut to your dessert table.
What You'll Need
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup cream of coconut
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 (16.25-ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) package confectioners' sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flaked coconut, divided
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed, beat eggs. Add sour cream, oil, cream of coconut, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, beating until well blended. Add cake mix; beat at low speed until blended. Beat at high speed 1 minute, then pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 28 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed until creamy; add remaining vanilla, beating well. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth. Stir 2 cups flaked coconut into frosting.
- Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake. Sprinkle with remaining coconut. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
Test Kitchen Tip
- Want to give this dessert an extra special touch? Toast the remaining coconut before sprinkling it over the cake. It'll have them saying, "OOH IT'S SO GOOD!!"™
- When you slice it into, it might be a little crumbly, but that's okay! The moistness is worth a few crumbs!
- Love this white cake recipe? Check out our collection of Amazing White Cake Recipes! Want more recipes to go "coconuts" over? Try our Coconut Bread Pudding, this smooth Coconut Cream Pie, and our sweet-as-can-be Coconut Dream Cake!