Heavenly Surprise Angel Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 1 Hr 30 Min
- COOK TIME
- 5 Min
Yup, it's true! You'll think you're in heaven when you try this delicious cake. And you've got to watch people's faces when you slice it...they'll be trying to figure out how you stuffed it!
What You'll Need
- 1 (.25 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 (10-inch) prepared angel food cake
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
What to Do
In a small microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand 2 minutes. Heat in microwave on high power 40 seconds, then stir thoroughly until gelatin is completely dissolved. Let stand until cool and slightly thickened.
Place cake on a serving plate. Cut a 1-inch horizontal layer off of top of cake.
Without cutting through bottom of cake, make a vertical cut 1/2 inch from outside edge of cake all the way around cake. Then make another vertical cut (parallel to first one) 1/2 inch from inside edge of cake all around cake. Gently remove cake between 2 cuts, forming a trench, being careful not to tear bottom; reserve it for another use.
- In a medium-sized bowl, with an electric beater on medium speed, beat cream until soft peaks form, then gradually add sugar and cocoa. Continue beating until mixture forms stiff peaks. Beat in gelatin and vanilla. Spoon mixture into hollowed out cake and replace top layer. Frost cake with remaining chocolate mixture. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
You won't have to worry about using the cake that came out of the center; put it out for your little angels and watch it disappear!
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
When the heat of summer has us turning away from comfort foods, we like to turn to recipes like this Chilled Beefed-Up Summer Salad. And, since salad is only as good as the dressing that goes on it, you can bet we've paired this beefy summer salad with the perfect, homemade, creamy horseradish dressing to make this extra mm..mm..tasty!