Holiday Sponge Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Here's a holiday classic that can be enjoyed any time of the year. This five-ingredient dessert recipe for Holiday Sponge Cake will take you back to Christmas dinner at Grandma's house. It's an old-fashioned favorite you'll turn to time and time again.
What You'll Need
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 10-inch tube pan with wax paper.
- In a large bowl, with an electric beater on medium speed, beat the egg yolks for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and continue beating until thickened. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice; mix well. With a rubber spatula, fold in the flour 1/3 cup at a time; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric beater on medium speed, beat the egg whites until foamy and loose peaks form. Add the remaining sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the yolk mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour, until the top is golden and springs back when touched lightly.
- Invert the pan onto a wire rack for 1 hour to cool completely, then serve.