Homestyle Buttermilk Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Bake up a tried-and-true favorite with our recipe for Homestyle Buttermilk Cake. This cake will remind you of all the times grandma would call you to the table and have a large slice and a glass of milk waiting for you. It's such a classic!
What You'll Need
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar until creamy. Add eggs one at a time; mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly beat flour mixture and buttermilk into butter mixture, alternating until thoroughly combined. Stir in vanilla. Pour batter evenly into baking dish.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; let cool.
- To make the Frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add remaining ingredients and beat until smooth. Spread frosting over cake.
- Hungry for more? We've got even more school lunch recipes from our Cafeteria Week below!
- Kids can enjoy this delicious cake with a glass of cold milk, but adults will probably enjoy it with a cup of coffee. Why not try one of our make-at-home coffee shop favorites?
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Calories 464
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 18g 27 %
- Saturated Fat 11g 54 %
- Trans Fat 0.6g 0 %
- Protein 5.5g 11 %
- Cholesterol 93mg 31 %
- Sodium 355mg 15 %
- Total Carbohydrates 73g 24 %
- Dietary Fiber 1.6g 7 %
- Sugars 51g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Ben's Chili Bowl has been a landmark restaurant in Washington D.C. since 1958. The restaurant first became famous for its homemade chili dogs. After getting tasting one, we knew we had to recreate this chili in our Test Kitchen. Our recipe for Ben's Chili Dog is the next best thing to the real version, and your family is going to devour it.