Traditional Strawberry Shortcake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
No meal is complete without dessert, and it doesn't matter if it's a cookie, a bar, or a piled-high layer cake. But when you serve this classic made-from-scratch shortcake, all of a sudden it's everybody's first choice!
What You'll Need
- 3 cups biscuit baking mix
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 4 cups (1 quart) fresh strawberries, sliced
What to Do
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine biscuit baking mix, granulated sugar, and milk; mix well. Spread batter into prepared baking dish.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; let cool completely.
In a large bowl, with an electric beater on medium speed, beat heavy cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Cut cake into 9 squares, then cut each square in half horizontally. Place bottom squares on individual serving plates or a large serving platter. Evenly distribute sliced strawberries, then whipped cream mixture evenly over squares, reserving some of each for garnish. Place remaining cake squares on top. Garnish with reserved whipped cream and strawberries. Serve, or cover loosely and chill until ready to serve.
The best way to serve this strawberry shortcake is to prepare the shortcake, whipped cream, and strawberries. Then cut and assemble only as many servings as you need. Cover the remaining shortcake and chill the remaining whipped cream and strawberries until additional servings are needed.