North and South American Casserole
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This dish is a quick version of the South American hallacas, which is a cornmeal dough wrapped around a spicy meat mixture. Our version combines the flavorful ideas of yesterday with the big Tex-Mex taste of today.
What You'll Need
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 1 1/4 pounds ground pork or beef
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 (10 ¾ ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup raisins
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions, but do not bake; set aside batter.
- In a large skillet, sauté ground meat for 5 to 7 minutes, until crumbly. Remove meat from pan and drain well, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings in pan.
- Sauté onion and pepper in drippings over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes, until soft. Return drained meat to pan and add soup, garlic powder, and raisins; mix well.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Spread corn muffin mixture evenly over meat mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes or until muffin topping is firm.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
These are a real Southern specialty; if you've never had the chance to try them, you'd better get ready to eat more than one! These Tangy Pickled Eggs are an old-fashioned Southern recipe that is now easy to make at home! Just a few easy steps and simple ingredients and you'll be making Tangy Pickled Eggs in no time!