We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
In the sweet onion-growing areas, folks rave about how sweet their onions are. When you put this oniony Spring Casserole on the table, folks will rave about how sweet you are!
What You'll Need
- 6 to 7 cups chopped sweet onions (4 large onions)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 5 cups salted water
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onions in butter until soft and light golden. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a large saucepan; add rice and cook 5 minutes, then drain. Add rice to onions and mix well. Mix in cheese and half-and-half.
- Pour into a greased 2-quart casserole dish and bake, covered, for 1 hour