We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Old-Fashioned Chicken is a dish that takes us back to Mom's kitchen, without all the fuss of preparing it like she did. It's a great-tasting chicken dish that doesn't take much tending, so you can get dinner on the table with minimal effort. This easy chicken dinner is sure to please the whole gang because it's packed with hearty ingredients and tons of flavor.
What You'll Need
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken thighs or drumsticks (about 8 pieces)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained (See Note)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans whole potatoes, drained and cut in half
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
What to Do
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, heat oil. Sprinkle salt over chicken and cook 10 minutes, or until browned on each side, turning halfway through cooking.
- Add onion and saute about 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients to chicken; mix well.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- You can use any type of white bean here in place of the cannellini beans: pinto beans, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), or black-eyed peas.
- We love one-pot dinner recipes like these, 'cause there's hardly any work or clean-up involved! If you want more one-pot recipes, be sure to check out our collection of 50 Quick and Easy One-Pot Meals.
- If you love easy chicken recipes that use dark meat, check out our collection of 20+ Simple Chicken Drumstick Recipes.
- If you enjoyed this old-fashioned chicken recipe, be sure to check out our free eCookbook, Piece-by-Piece: 20 Easy Chicken Recipes for Drumsticks, Thighs & More.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 666
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19g 29 %
- Saturated Fat 4.0g 20 %
- Trans Fat 0.1g 0 %
- Protein 66g 131 %
- Cholesterol 269mg 90 %
- Sodium 1,610mg 67 %
- Total Carbohydrates 59g 20 %
- Dietary Fiber 14g 55 %
- Sugars 7.1g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Everyone wants to feel a little special during the holiday. An easy--and tasty--way to do that is to shake up Christmas dinner with our Lemon-Rosemary Roasted Cornish Hens! Once you roast up these tender hens, you can serve everyone their own perfectly-sized main dish! It'll be the juiciest and most flavorful Christmas dinner the family has ever had.