Day After Chili
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
We think the only thing better than a huge pot of fresh chili is a huge pot of next-day chili 'cause it gives us days of no-fuss meals. If you feel like we do, make Day After Chili.
What You'll Need
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (16-ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 1/4 cups crumbled cooked hamburgers
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cooked hot dogs
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
What to Do
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic, and saute 5 to 6 minutes, or until pepper and onion are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve over rice and/or top with your favorite chili toppers like shredded cheese, chopped onions, sour cream, sliced scallions, or jalapeno peppers. And go ahead -- add more or less of the burgers and dogs (whatever you've got on hand!) and make it hotter or milder by adjusting the chili powder. The choices are yours!