Cherry Ice Box Cookies
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
These nutty slice 'n' bake cookies are perfect for any occasion. They're great for an after-school snack or drop-in guests.
What You'll Need
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup red decorator sugar (optional)
What to Do
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric beater until creamy. Gradually add 1 cup granulated sugar, beating well. Add egg and vanilla, beating well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture, beating well. Pat cherries between paper towels to remove excess moisture. Stir cherries and nuts into dough; cover dough, and chill 2 hours.
- Shape dough into 2 (1-1/2-inch by 8-inch) logs. Roll in red decorator sugar, if desired. Wrap logs in wax paper, and freeze 2 hours or until firm. (Store in freezer up to 6 months, if desired.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Unwrap frozen dough, and slice into 1/4-inch-thick slices, using a sharp knife. Place on lightly greased cookie sheets. (Do not let thaw.)
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Let cool 1 minute on cookie sheets. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.