French Butter Creams
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Ooh la la! These are melt-in-your-mouth wonderful!
What You'll Need
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
What to Do
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on low speed, mix together all the ingredients except the flour. Gradually add the flour and mix until well blended. Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
- Shape the dough into 3/4-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Flatten the balls with a fork. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes until set but not brown.
- Let cool on the cookie sheets for 1 minute, then transfer to wire racks to cool. Store loosely covered.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
If you'd like, tint the dough by blending in a few drops of food color after adding the flour. Or, just before baking, sprinkle the tops lightly with colored granulated ("crystal") sugars (found in your supermarket baking section).