Holly Jolly Surprise Cookies
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
There's a sweet treat waiting for you inside these Holly Jolly Surprise Cookies! Stuffed with a filling made from figs, almonds, chocolate, and orange marmalade, these little cookie bundles deliver an explosion of flavor with every bite. With the festive sugar on top, they look like perfect little wrapped up presents sitting on your dessert table--you'll be shocked how fast your guests each claim their special "gift"!
What You'll Need
- 7 ounces whole dried figs
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons warm water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup water
- Red decorating sugar for sprinkling
- Green decorating sugar for sprinkling
What to Do
- Place figs in a food processor and pulse about 1 minute or until finely chopped. Place in a large bowl, add almonds, chocolate chips, marmalade, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, the cocoa powder, cloves, and cinnamon; mix well. Stir in 2 teaspoons warm water. Mixture should be the consistency of thick paste.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat flour, remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the baking powder, and salt. Add 1/4 cup shortening at a time and mix until dough resembles coarse crumbs. Add water 1/4 cup at a time until dough begins to form a ball. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Place in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate 30 to 45 minutes or until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces and shape each piece into a 10-inch log, 1-inch thick. Cut each log into 10 slices. Using a rolling pin or your fingers, form each slice into a 2-1/2-inch round, about 1/4-inch thick.
- Place 1 teaspoon fig filling in center of each round of dough. Using your fingers, bring 2 sides of the dough up and pinch them over the filling, sealing edges of dough. Turn cookie over so seam is on bottom; then shape cookie into an almond shape. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- With a sharp paring knife, score several vents on top of each cookie (as shown in photo). Sprinkle cookies with decorating sugar. Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until light golden around edges. Let cool 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.