Simple Breakfast Strata
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 30 Min
- COOK TIME
- 35 Min
Create endless variations of this easy and yummy make ahead egg dish that is perfect for brunch, dinner, and family get-togethers.
What You'll Need
- 4 slices dense white or whole grain bread
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano
- 6 slices Canadian-style bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
What to Do
- Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Place bread in a single layer in bottom of baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, and thyme until blended; pour over bread. Sprinkle with bacon. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes, or as long as overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove strata from refrigerator, uncover, and let stand while oven is heating.
- Bake in center of oven 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Continue baking until puffed, golden, and firm in center, about 5 additional minutes.
Like its cousins the quiche and bread pudding, the strata has endless variations. It can be made with almost any firm bread, enhanced with vegetables, meat, and cheese, and flavored any way you like.
As with French toast and bread pudding, the strata is a good use for bread that has become a bit dry.
- You can substitute 6 strips of turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled, for the Canadian-style bacon.