Kicked-Up Hush Puppies
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
We kicked up your typical hush puppy recipe, by adding some unexpected (and tasty!) ingredients, and came up with these bite-sized, Kicked-Up Hush Puppies that are going to be the talk of your next get-together. Cooked until they're crispy-golden on the outside, but still really moist and flavorful inside, it shouldn't come as a surprise when they disappear off the plate!
What You'll Need
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pound US farm-raised catfish, cooked and flaked
- Vegetable oil for frying
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, onion, jalapeno, celery salt, paprika, salt, pepper, milk, and egg; mix well. Gently stir in fish.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat one inch of oil until hot (about 300 degrees). Drop mixture by rounded teaspoonfuls into oil, being careful not to overcrowd them. Cook in batches 5 to 7 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
- Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined platter.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
You'll be the star of the next get together when you bring this easy chili recipe along. You see, the combination of ground beef and Italian sausage makes for a hearty recipe that no one can resist. When they ask you what it's called just say, "That's My Tailgating Chili!" with a smile.