We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Every scoop of our refreshing watermelon ice is like a taste of summer. This easy-to-make chilled dessert is a cross between old-fashioned ices and sherbet, and beats store-bought by a mile!
What You'll Need
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon red food color
- 8 cups seedless watermelon chunks (about a 6-pound watermelon)
What to Do
- In a medium saucepan, bring water, sugar, and honey to a boil over high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Stir in lemon juice and food color. Place half the watermelon chunks and half the cooled syrup in a blender jar and puree until smooth. Pour into a 9" x 13" baking dish and repeat the process with the remaining watermelon and syrup, adding all the pureed mixture to the baking dish. Cover and freeze for 3 to 4 hours, or until frozen 1 inch around the edges.
- Stir well to mix up the ice crystals then cover and freeze for 4 to 6 more hours, or until completely frozen. Using an ice cream scoop, scrape the ice into mounds, and serve.
Before mixture freezes, stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips to look like watermelon seeds.