Pickled Watermelon Harvest
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 4 cups
- CHILL TIME
- 8 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 1 Hr
Now there's another reason to be wild about watermelon! Our Pickled Watermelon Harvest recipe is a tangy, sweet, and spicy combo of pickled watermelon rind, cauliflower, and carrots. This healthy go-along relish will wake up your taste buds in a flash!
What You'll Need
- 9 cups water, divided
- 3 cups 1-inch chunks peeled watermelon rind (see Tips)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- Zest of one orange
What to Do
In a large pot over high heat, bring 8 cups water and the watermelon rind to a boil. Boil 15 to 20 minutes, or until rind is fork-tender; drain and return rind to the pot.
Add remaining water, the carrots, cauliflower, vinegar, sugar, cloves and orange zest; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook 35 to 40 minutes, or until liquid has thickened slightly, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Transfer to an airtight container and chill overnight before serving.
- To prepare watermelon rind for this recipe, cut up a watermelon, separating the sweet pink meat from the white rind. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the green skin off the rind, then cut the rind into 1-inch chunks.
- For more watermelon recipes and tips, visit www.watermelon.org
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
For a fresh and quick meal, whip up our Fresh Garden Pasta! Made with all the warm weather favorites, like zucchini, summer squash, and onion chunks, our garden veggie angel pasta is a flavorful symphony of flavors. Dig in to enjoy the combination of roasted veggies that rests beautifully on top of some angel hair pasta! But the best part of this summer pasta recipe? It's totally budget-friendly! Plus, you can easily swap out your roasted veggies based on what's in your kitchen or available at the local farmer's market.