Watermelon: Enjoy It All Year Long - 30 Easy Watermelon Recipes from Mr. Food Free eCookbook
Rhubarb and Strawberry Compote
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Combine two of your favorite fruits into one ultimate combination with our easy fruit recipe for Rhubarb and Strawberry Compote. Whether you've just returned from a strawberry festival or you saw a nice big tub on sale at your local grocery store, there's always a good reason to break out this juicy red fruit and turn into the absolute best snacks and desserts.
What You'll Need
- 1 pound fresh rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (see Note)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
What to Do
- Place the rhubarb in a large bowl and add just enough cold water to cover; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly and place in a medium-sized heavy saucepan. Sprinkle with the sugar and cook over low heat until it begins to bubble.
- Cook for 5 more minutes then add the strawberries.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, slightly mashing the fruit with a fork as it cooks.
- Serve warm or cold.
If it isn't fresh rhubarb season, you can substitute a 20-ounce package of frozen rhubarb for the fresh. (And you can even use a 16-ounce package of frozen whole strawberries, too.) Just thaw and drain them completely, then cook as directed above. This is great as is, but for a real treat, use some chilled compote to top vanilla ice cream. It also makes a great topper for French toast.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Imagine the taste of your favorite apple pie, combined with the taste of your favorite apple cobbler, served on a homemade shortbread crust. That's exactly what these Apple Cobbler Shortbread Squares taste like! This is a great apple dessert bar to make in the fall or anytime you get a craving for something apple-icious!