Tips and Tricks for Decorating Easter Eggs
Before you start, be sure to check out our How To video pages on How to Make Hard-Boiled Eggs and How to Dye Easter Eggs. You'll learn everything you need to know to begin decorating Easter eggs.
Wash up. Start with clean, cool, hard-cooked eggs. Make sure everyone washes their hands in hot, soapy water before and after handling eggs. This protects everyone from transferring any bacteria on the egg, and protects the eggshell from any oils on hands that may keep the dye from sticking.
Color Me Happy. You can vary the color of egg dye based on the ingredient you add to your food coloring or color tablets. For ultra vibrant colored eggs add vinegar. Looking for more traditional colored eggs? Use lemon juice. If you want to embrace the pastel colors of spring, just add water.
Make Your Own Dyes. To make your own dyes, use turmeric to make yellow, beets to make pink, cranberries to make red, boiled spinach leaves to make green, carrots to make orange, fresh or canned blueberries to make blue, and coffee for shades of brown. Before decorating naturally dyed eggs, be sure they're completely dry, since some of the colors can easily be rubbed off.
Decorating Easter Eggs. Dress up eggs using materials you have in and around the house.
- You can add words or draw pictures on the eggs with crayons before they're dyed. Since wax doesn't absorb color your design will still show once you've dyed your egg!
- Make tie-dyed eggs by wrapping rubberbands around your eggs and dying only certain sections of the egg shell!
- Make half-and-half dyed eggs by dipping one half of the egg in one color and the other half in a different color.
- "Eggspress" yourself by creating an egg with a face. Add a couple of eyes, a smile, and any other features you'd like!
- Once you’ve colored your eggs, add finishing touches using items like ribbon (use non-toxic glue), stickers or glitter.
Stay Safe. If you plan on eating the hard-boiled eggs make sure to treat them like cooked eggs. You can store them in the refrigerator for up to one week.