How to Check for Baking Powder and Baking Soda Freshness
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
We're sharing tips for anyone with the baking bug to check the freshness of both baking powder and baking soda.
What to Do
To test for baking powder freshness:
Place 1 tablespoon water in a bowl and add 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. If it bubbles and fizzes, it's still fresh.
To test for baking soda freshness:
Place 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in a bowl with 1 tablespoon white vinegar. If it bubbles and fizzes, it's still fresh.
Try our recipe for homestyle Baking Powder Biscuits that'll melt in your mouth!
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
We're so crazy about carrots we like to use 'em in everything from soups to desserts. This recipe for Crazy Carrot Pancakes is a bit unexpected, but a lot welcomed, 'cause it's crazy easy, crazy good, and there's not a person who tries 'em who isn't crazy about 'em afterwards!
- How to Make Candy: 12 Easy Chocolate Candy Recipes
- Types of Corn and How to Choose Corn
- 20 Tips for Baking Perfect Cookies
- How to Freeze a Casserole
- How to Make Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- Table Setting 101
- Q&A with the Test Kitchen: Episode 1
- Types of Onions and How to Choose the Right Onion
- Sizing Up a Serving and a Portion
- How to Make a Gingerbread House