Green Chili Cheese Grits
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Who's looking for a Southern breakfast recipe that'll get your heart thumpin' and pumpin'? Well, then you're in luck because our easy breakfast recipe for homemade Green Chili Cheese Grits is a real doozy. By using a few spicy ingredients, we've put a kickin' twist on this down-South favorite.
What You'll Need
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon prepared minced garlic
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat jalapeno Cheddar cheese
What to Do
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and slowly add grits, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Add chilies, salt, and onion powder to grits in saucepan. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Grits aren't just for breakfast anymore! Serve this savory side as a creamy base for slices of grilled pork tenderloin. Of course, they're perfect for breakfast, too, with eggs and fruit.