Barnyard Chicken & Dumplings
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Why is this one of our favorite chicken soups? Maybe because of the homemade dumplings that are swimming in it. Barnyard Chicken & Dumplings is a hearty soup that you can enjoy as a meal-starter or a main dish.
What You'll Need
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 8 cups chicken broth (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups biscuit baking mix (see Note)
- 2/3 cup milk (see Note)
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
What to Do
Coat a soup pot with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add celery and carrots; saute 6 minutes, or until tender. Stir in broth, poultry seasoning, and pepper; bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together biscuit mix and milk until blended. Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface; roll or pat dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 1- x 3-inch strips.
- Drop strips one at a time into boiling broth. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, or until dumplings are cooked through, stirring occasionally. Add chicken and stir until heated through, 3 to 4 additional minutes. Serve immediately.
You can lighten up this Southern classic without sacrificing taste. Substitute low-sodium fat-free chicken broth, reduced-fat biscuit baking mix, and fat-free milk for their regular counterparts.
- Want even more tasty soups and stews? Check out our free eCookbook, Comfort Food for the Soul: 40 of Our Best Stews and Easy Soup Recipes!
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Lookin' for just the right easy dinner recipe to keep your hubby happy? Then our recipe for Newlyweds' Pot Roast might just do the trick. Pop in a movie and get cozy while the pot roast simmers and get ready for those delicious aromas to start wafting from room to room. There's nothing like a homemade pot roast to show your loved one how much you care.