Southern Johnny Cakes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Originally known as "journey cakes" or "hoecakes" this classic favorite was so named for its long-keeping qualities. We'd like to think our Southern Johnny Cakes keep just as long, but we wouldn't know since we just gobble 'em up soon as they're ready!
What You'll Need
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup hot reduced fat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Stir in the eggs, milk, vanilla, and butter. Don't overmix!
- Heat a griddle over medium-high heat about 2 minutes. Coat with cooking spray.
- Drop 1/4 cup batter per pancake on hot griddle. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
When you think of graham crackers, you might think of crushing them up to make a pie crust, or maybe sandwiching chocolate bars and toasted marshmallows between a couple of 'em for s'mores. Well, now we've taken it a step further by making a super moist, Graham Cracker Cake that's packed with flavor! Trust us, this is a recipe you'll want to get your hands on.