Southern Johnny Cakes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Originally known as "journey cakes" or "hoecakes" this classic favorite was so named for its long-keeping qualities. We'd like to think our Southern Johnny Cakes keep just as long, but we wouldn't know since we just gobble 'em up soon as they're ready!
What You'll Need
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup hot reduced fat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Stir in the eggs, milk, vanilla, and butter. Don't overmix!
- Heat a griddle over medium-high heat about 2 minutes. Coat with cooking spray.
- Drop 1/4 cup batter per pancake on hot griddle. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
When it comes to choosing healthier meal options and indulging in something delicious, you can have both with our Steakhouse Salad! If you can't give up your love of steak, but need to start looking for something lighter at dinner time, this is the recipe for you. This meal gets a seal of approval from both veggie lovers and meat lovers everywhere, so don't miss out!