We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Having some friends over? Make something that you can't get at a pizza parlor. It's yours alone!
What You'll Need
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage or sweet or hot Italian sausage, casing removed, crumbled
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can or jar (about 4 ounces) mushroom slices and pieces, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf party rye or French bread, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
What to Do
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, fry the sausage for about 5 minutes, or until no pink remains; drain. Remove from the heat, then mix in the tomato paste, tomato sauce, mushrooms, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Place the bread halves on a lightly greased baking sheet. Spread the sausage mixture evenly on the bread; top with the cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starts to brown.
If you're using Italian turkey sausage, you may need to add 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to the skillet. This is great made ahead and baked just before serving, and it even freezes well, uncooked (bake just before serving)! For an added treat, top with hot or sweet pepper rings or sliced ripe olives.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.