Vegetable Pita Pizzas
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Tell your family it's like a quick trip to Las Vegas (well, that's where I first enjoyed these).
What You'll Need
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small green bell peppers, cut into thin strips about 1 inch long
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 4 (6-inch) pita breads
- 4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
What to Do
- Preheat the broiler. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the onion and garlic for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the pepper strips, broth, basil, thyme, crushed red pepper, and salt; cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Place the pitas on a broiler pan or cookie sheet. Layer the tomato slices evenly over the pitas, then top with the warm vegetable mixture. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the vegetables, then broil 5 to 6 inches from the heat source for 1 minute or just until the cheese is melted.