Wild Mushroom and Fontina Pizza
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Mushrooms were made for this dish and, with bite number one, you'll see exactly why! Wild mushrooms and fontina cheese lend an exotic aura to this gourmet pizza. Yum-my!
What You'll Need
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed (see note)
- 3 large plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) package prebaked Italian pizza bread shell
- 10 ounces fontina cheese, grated and divided
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
What to Do
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, and sauté 1 minute or until tender. Add mushrooms; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in tomatoes and next 4 ingredients; remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Place bread shell on a 12-inch pizza pan. Top with three-quarters of the fontina cheese and all the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 12 minutes.
f you can't find shiitake mushrooms, substitute Portobello or crimini mushrooms. Both types have a rich, meaty flavor like shiitakes. Or use button mushrooms, which are mild in flavor and more widely available.