Easy New Year's Hoppin' John
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Hoppin' John is a traditional dish that brings a real kick to the new year with hot rice, peppery peas, and crispy bacon. Hope this quick version of Easy New Year's Hoppin' John brings you luck.
What You'll Need
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
What to Do
- In a medium saucepan, combine the bacon, onion, salt, and pepper over medium heat. Cook 10 to 12 minutes, or until bacon is crisp and onion is golden, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in black-eyed peas and rice; continue stirring mixture for 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through.
I like to sprinkle in a few drops of hot pepper sauce to give it an added kick, but be sure everybody likes it that way first!