Quick & Easy Potato Recipes: 30 Scrumptious Recipes for Breakfast Potatoes, Potato Side Dishes and More
German Potato Dumplings
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 1 dozen
- 8 Min
- COOK TIME
- 5 Min
In Germany, potato dumplings are known as "Kartoffel Kloesse" and are a favorite side dish for many families. Our version of German Potato Dumplings may use a shortcut, but they still deliver the traditional, slightly-sweet and buttery taste that makes them popular.
What You'll Need
- 6 cups water
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed chicken broth
- 2 cups warm mashed potatoes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
What to Do
- In a soup pot, bring the water and broth to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, except the butter and onion; mix well.
- Carefully drop half the batter by 1/4 cup into the broth and boil for 7 to 8 minutes, or until firm. Remove with a slotted spoon to a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining batter.
- In a large skillet over high heat, melt butter and saute onion until golden. Add dumplings to skillet and saute 5 to 6 minutes, or until golden on both sides.
Wanna know an easy way to make the dumplings? Use an ice cream scoop to drop the batter into the boiling liquid.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
These are a real Southern specialty; if you've never had the chance to try them, you'd better get ready to eat more than one! These Tangy Pickled Eggs are an old-fashioned Southern recipe that is now easy to make at home! Just a few easy steps and simple ingredients and you'll be making Tangy Pickled Eggs in no time!