Pico de Gallo
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
In Mexican cuisine, Pico de Gallo is a fresh condiment made of finely chopped tomatoes, onions and jalapeno peppers. Of course, you can make it as mild or as spicy as you'd like. That's the best part of making it yourself!
What You'll Need
- 2 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 3 fresh jalapeno peppers, stems and seeds removed, finely chopped (see below)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1/2 lime
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients; mix well.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour, or until ready to serve.
This makes a great dip and also a zesty topping for tacos and fajitas. And remember, you can make it milder or more intense by adjusting the amount of jalapenos.
Be careful when handling jalapenos and any chili peppers, because they contain oils that can burn your skin and eyes, not just your taste buds.
Here are a few things to remember:
- Hot peppers should not come in contact with the skin and eyes, so we recommend wearing plastic or rubber gloves when working with them. You can also protect your hands by coating them with a layer of vegetable oil. But this will make them slippery, so be extra careful when handling a knife.
- When working with hot peppers, never wipe your eyes with your hands!
- You can burn your tongue and mouth with even a small taste of a hot chili pepper. So, when you do try one, do so with an ever-so-small piece at first to determine how hot it really is (the intensity will vary from pepper to pepper). Add a little at a time to whatever you're making. (You can always make a dish hotter by adding a few dashes of hot pepper sauce or more chopped chilies.)
- Whether you use gloves or coat your hands with oil, always wash your hands and nails thoroughly with soap and water after working with chilies.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Our Flank Steak Pinwheels are a mouthwatering, savory meal you can use for so many occasions! It's perfect for a romantic candlelit dinner on date night, or as a Sunday supper after church! Not only does it taste amazing, but it looks like it came straight from the restaurant!