Old-Fashioned Patty Melts
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Everything about these Old-Fashioned Patty Melts is perfect, from the beef patty smothered in cheesy, oniony goodness, to the toasted and buttery rye bread. This sandwich is sure to have you saying "Ooh, it's so GOUDA!"
What You'll Need
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 4 slices rye bread
- 4 slices Gouda cheese
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
What to Do
- In a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter; saute onion 6 to 8 minutes, or until it starts to brown. Remove to a bowl and cover.
- Shape beef into 2 oval patties; sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, cook patties 5 to 7 minutes per side, or until no longer pink in center. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- Spread remaining butter over one side of each slice of bread. Place in skillet buttered side down, and toast until lightly browned.
- To assemble a sandwich, place a slice of cheese on a piece of toast, top with a beef patty, half the onion slices, and half the salad dressing. Top with another slice of cheese and piece of toast; repeat with second sandwich, then serve immediately.
We love some coleslaw as a go-along to this delicious sandwich, so why not make your own by whipping up a batch of our Country Coleslaw!
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
What could be better on a cold winter night than a skillet supper bursting with the hearty flavors of smoked sausage and cabbage? Nothing! And few can beat the ease of our Skillet Sausage 'n' Cabbage. This cabbage recipe is the perfect fill-you-up one-pot meal option for chilly autumn and winter evenings. Even the pickiest members of your family won't be able to resist this classic. The hearty combination of cabbage and sausage will keep you warm and satisfied, which is one of the reasons people love cabbage and sausage dinner recipes in the winter. Oh, it's so comforting!