Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage Paella
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Ground turmeric, a common ingredient in curry powders, adds flavor and color to this one-dish meal. Aside from its flavor, turmeric is also touted as an antioxidant, as well as for its anti-inflammatory properties.
What You'll Need
- 1 3/4 pounds skinned and boned chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 (7-ounce) link smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 1 (14-1/2-ounce) can organic diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, drained
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon prepared minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen petite green peas
- 1 cup uncooked converted long-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric (see note)
- 3/4 pound cooked, peeled and deveined medium-sized shrimp (1-1/2 pounds in shell)
What to Do
- Sprinkle chicken thighs evenly with rosemary and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until light golden. Arrange chicken in a 5-quart slow cooker.
- Add sausage to skillet; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer sausage to slow cooker; add tomatoes and next 4 ingredients.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting 3 hours. Stir rice and turmeric into slow cooker. Increase heat to HIGH setting; cover and cook 45 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp; cook on HIGH setting 15 more minutes or until rice is done.