We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Puff Shells are great because they can be made to taste either savory or sweet. They're great as an entree or a snack!
What You'll Need
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into quarters
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
What to Do
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water, butter, and salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the flour all at once and stir quickly with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a ball; remove pan from the heat.
- Add 1 egg and beat with the wooden spoon to blend. Add the remaining eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. When the dough is smooth, spoon 1/4-cup mounds of dough onto a cookie sheet, leaving 2 inches between each dough mound.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden and puffy. Transfer the puffs to a wire rack and let cool completely. With a sharp knife, cut puffs in half horizontally before filling.
For Lunch or Dinner: Fill puffs with tuna, chicken, egg, or seafood salad.
For Dessert: Fill puffs with pudding, mousse, or custard and top with whipped cream, chocolate chips or other garnishes.
Preparation Tip: To make mini puff shells, drop the dough by tablespoonfuls and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden.
Yields about 1 dozen shells.