Copycat Tomato Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This savory soup recipe was inspired by the kind that you can find at your favorite bakery-type restaurant. It's a hearty Copycat Tomato Soup that's full of authentic flavor. We top it off with homemade croutons to give it that extra zing!
What You'll Need
- 1/2 of a 1 pound loaf Asiago cheese bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Make croutons for the top of the soup by slicing the bread into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Butter both sides with softened butter, then cut slices into bite-sized cubes. Place cubes on a rimmed baking sheet and bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until crispy. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt 5 tablespoons butter. Add onion and cook until softened but not browned, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle flour over onion and continue to stir and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk, salt, pepper, and sugar. Continue to cook and stir 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add tomatoes and 2 tablespoons basil, and simmer 15 minutes or until hot and creamy. Serve immediately topped with croutons and sprinkled with remaining basil.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Calories 319
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15g 24 %
- Saturated Fat 9.2g 46 %
- Trans Fat 0.6g 0 %
- Protein 10g 21 %
- Cholesterol 40mg 13 %
- Sodium 1,015mg 42 %
- Total Carbohydrates 38g 13 %
- Dietary Fiber 4.7g 19 %
- Sugars 18g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Our Flank Steak Pinwheels are a mouthwatering, savory meal you can use for so many occasions! It's perfect for a romantic candlelit dinner on date night, or as a Sunday supper after church! Not only does it taste amazing, but it looks like it came straight from the restaurant!