Cuban Cream of Malanga Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Cuban Cream of Malanga Soup is similar in consistency to a creamy potato soup, but with a much earthier flavor. Try this change-of-pace soup whenever you're craving something new and international!
What You'll Need
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for garnish
- 2 pounds malanga (yautia), peeled and cut into large chunks (see Note)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
What to Do
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 375 degrees F. In a small baking cup, combine garlic and olive oil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until garlic has softened. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a soup pot over medium-high heat, combine malanga, chicken broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer about 35 to 40 minutes or until malanga is fork tender.
- In a food processor or blender, puree 1 cup at a time of malanga and broth with roasted garlic and oil until smooth.
- Add half-and-half; stir until well-combined
- Serve with additional olive oil swirled on top, if desired.
- Can't find malanga in your grocery store? You can substitute with other tropical starches, such as taro or yuca.
- If you prefer a creamier consistency, just add a little more half-and-half. You can add in one tablespoon at a time until you've reached your desired consistency.
- We like to serve each bowl of this soup with a few slices of Spanish chorizo and a handful of plantain chips.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 222
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8g 12 %
- Saturated Fat 2.2g 11 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 3.0g 6 %
- Cholesterol 7.5mg 2 %
- Sodium 704mg 29 %
- Total Carbohydrates 38g 13 %
- Dietary Fiber 2.3g 9 %
- Sugars 0.7g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This one is pure comfort food heaven! Our hearty Cheesy Bacon Pierogi Bake is bursting with creamy texture and smoky flavor! This stick-to-your-ribs favorite doubles as both a main dish, or as a cheesy go-along. No matter how you serve this up, this all-in-one dish is perfect for any occasion!