Fill 'em Up Fish Chowder
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
No way, this isn't simply a bowl of soup you have before dinner....It's a whole meal in a bowl!
What You'll Need
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 pound sliced deli ham, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 (1-quart) cups milk, divided
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen white-fleshed fish fillets, such as cod, haddock, or whiting, thawed if frozen, cut into large chunks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
What to Do
- In a soup pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the ham, celery, and onion and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the onion is tender.
- Add the broth, potatoes, paprika, thyme, cayenne pepper, and salt and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add 31/2 cups milk and the fish and return to a low boil. Allow to boil for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and the remaining 1/2 cup milk until well blended. Stir into the chowder, simmering until thickened.
This is usually served topped with ketchup and with oyster crackers on the side.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Our Flank Steak Pinwheels are a mouthwatering, savory meal you can use for so many occasions! It's perfect for a romantic candlelit dinner on date night, or as a Sunday supper after church! Not only does it taste amazing, but it looks like it came straight from the restaurant!