Homemade Chicken Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Lots of chicken, carrots, onions, and celery make this one of the best chicken soup recipes around. It's beyond easy to make, and you'll forget all about store-bought canned soup in no time. Our Homemade Chicken Soup recipe will warm your hands, heart, and tummy, so grab your favorite bowl and dig-in!
What You'll Need
- 1 (2-1/2- to 3-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 10 cups cold water
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium-sized onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
What to Do
- Combine all the ingredients in a soup pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, then simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until the chicken easily falls off the bones.
- Serve the soup with the chicken (bones and all) or, if desired, use tongs to remove the chicken from the soup, allow the chicken to cool slightly, then bone and skin the chicken, cut it into small pieces, and return it to the soup.
- Serve as is or with cooked noodles, rice, or matzo balls. (See Note.)
Store any leftover soup in the refrigerator. Before reheating, remove and discard any fat that has risen to the surface. For homemade matzo ball soup, prepare matzo balls and add them to the soup pot about 15 minutes before serving. For chicken noodle soup, add 1/4 pound medium egg noodles, cooked, to the soup just before serving, and for chicken rice soup, add 3 cups cooked rice.