Italian Wedding Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Traditionally served during the holidays, Italian Wedding Soup is a clear broth soup with dark, leafy greens and mini meatballs. These two ingredients are so close, you might even say they're married to each other! Try it for yourself and see why this soup is worth every last spoonful.
What You'll Need
- 6 (10-1/2-ounce) cans condensed chicken broth
- 6 cups water
- Meatballs, optional (see recipe below)
- 4 cups fresh chopped escarole
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
What to Do
- In a large soup pot, bring the chicken broth and water to a boil over high heat. If meatballs are desired, carefully add them to the broth and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until no pink remains.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the escarole, and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in cheese then gradually stir in beaten eggs, forming strands. Serve immediately.
For easy Italian recipes you will make again and again, we've compiled this collection of 35 No-Fail Italian Favorites, Plus 7 Classic Sauces you can make at home!
Meatballs for Italian Wedding Soup:
Yields about 6 dozen mini meatballs
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients; mix well then shape into 1-inch meatballs using a 1/2-teaspoon measure.
2. Add the meatballs to the soup and cook as directed above.
Instead of cooking the meatballs in the soup, they can be sautéed in a skillet for 5 to 10 minutes, until browned, before adding to the soup. It's your choice! For a nice finishing touch, sprinkle each bowl with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Our Four-Layer Pecan Pie recipe is layered with creamy filling, crunchy pecans, and a flaky refrigerated pie crust that truly make this a delectable dessert. Top it with a scoop of your favorite ice cream and a drizzle of maple syrup for a dessert you'll want to eat over and over again.