Butter-Basted Herbed Turkey
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Let's talk about a classic way to prepare your turkey that is buttery-good! Our easy turkey recipe is the perfect way to make Thanksgiving very special and super tasty; the expertly blended spices and the extra attention we give to everyone's favorite bird, means that the Thanksgiving flavors are sure to be gobble-it-up-good! You might want to sneak a few bites in the kitchen; once this turkey hits the table, it won't last long.
What You'll Need
- 1 (12- to 15-pound) turkey
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 celery stalks, cut in quarters
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for a later use. Rinse turkey with cold water, pat dry, and place in a roasting pan breast side up.
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, parsley, poultry seasoning, paprika, garlic, salt, and pepper; mix well. Rub half the mixture over outside of turkey. Reserve the remaining herbed butter mixture for basting. Place onion and celery in cavity of turkey. If you would like, now would be the perfect time to tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- Cover turkey with foil and roast 1-1/2 hours. Remove foil and brush with remaining herbed butter. Continue to cook uncovered 1-1/2 to 2 more hours, or until thermometer reaches 180 degrees in thickest part of thigh, basting with herbed butter every 30 minutes. (Make sure you do not baste the last 30 minutes or so to prevent any cross-contamination).
- Remove turkey from pan and place on a cutting board to rest 15 minutes before carving.
Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tips!
- To prevent cross-contamination, be sure not to baste the turkey with the herbed butter during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Want to know the best and safest ways to thaw your turkey? If so, make sure you check out our How To: Thaw a Turkey video. We even have a great video to help you be a turkey carving pro. Check out our How To: Carve a Turkey video!
- Our Asian Turkey Skillet Rounds are a great ground turkey option that you can enjoy any time of year!
- Don't forget to top it off with some of our Back-to-Basics Brown Gravy or our Foolproof Turkey Gravy!
- Plus, our Best Mashed Potatoes Ever are the perfect turkey side dish!
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This Easter Egg Bread recipe is sure to become an Easter tradition for years to come! This eye-catching Easter bread recipe is a pull-apart sweet bread that has colorful Easter eggs baked right in. It's such a sweet and colorful dessert, no one will be able to resist pulling off a piece of this Easter bread recipe. Kids and adults alike will love tearing off a piece and enjoying this sweet, festive sweet bread recipe.